We recognize that market-based solutions that address social issues will drive both business and societal benefits, creating shared value for all.
Our 2030 aspiration is to improve the quality of life – in particular with regard to livelihoods and shelter – of 100 million people at the base of the pyramid through inclusive business solutions and strategic social investments.
Inclusive business solutions approach social problems as business opportunities. By using our core competencies and expertise, we can improve the living conditions of low-income communities while extending access to our products, services and solutions in ways that create mutual value.
To succeed, these initiatives must be profitable, strategic, address social needs, provide measurable benefits to the company, and drive product or service development. Examples include:
- housing and sanitation solutions for low-income customers
- micro-enterprises that market products and services relating to our core business
- supplying Holcim facilities with goods and services.
Inclusive business initiatives are intended to complement and not to replace traditional CSR programs, as not all social needs can be addressed through market-based solutions.
Strategic social investments remain therefore important. They seek to improve people’s quality of life in a sustainable way, by providing seed capital for activities, and building capacity among community stakeholders. Social investment is considered to be “strategic” if it focuses on the needs of local communities, is implemented in close collaboration with stakeholders, and builds on our core business knowledge and assets.
Our pathway to achieving the Holcim Ambition for Communities:
- Invest 75% of our CSR spending in strategic social and collaborative projects
- 40 million people at the base of the pyramid to benefit from our strategic social investment and inclusive business initiatives between 2013 and 2020
- Impact 100 million people at the base of the pyramid between 2013 and 2030, progressively focusing on inclusive business solutions