Sustainable buildings in use
Holcim is making buildings more sustainable in use to decarbonize our cities.
We're enabling buildings to be more energy-efficient in use.
Seventy percent of CO2 emissions in the construction sector are generated by buildings in use.
Holcim offers high-performance insulation solutions enhancing the energy efficiency of our customers’ buildings. Our patented ISOGARD® technology has the highest thermal efficiency per inch delivering a 40 percent higher performance than other market solutions, while our SucraSeal bio-based Spray Foam has the highest biocontent in the industry. Our innovative solutions suit all types of building projects, from new builds to renovations, playing an increasing role in the repair and green retrofitting space.
Our advanced roofing systems play an essential role in making buildings more sustainable in use, adding key functionalities to a building’s envelope to make our cities greener. Insulated, cool and green roofs enhance buildings’ energy-efficiency, reduce the urban heat island effect, and can improve air quality with vegetation or smog-reducing granules, while solar-enabling roofing systems generate renewable energy. Our range of solutions covers flat roofing systems for commercial applications from warehouses to data centers. For residential applications we offer the most sustainable and circular shingles that are Green Circle certified.
Our solutions and products are playing an increasing role in green retrofitting.
Up to 80% of current buildings and infrastructure is expected to still be in use by 2050, meaning an increasing need for repair, renovation and green retrofitting solutions. By renovating buildings with green retrofit systems we can keep them in use for as long as possible in the most energy-efficient way.
We understand the importance of preserving buildings to decarbonize the built environment. Our Solutions & Products – from roofing and insulation to facades and tile adhesives – can be used to enhance the functionality of existing buildings and ensure their sustainable use in the long term. Through longer-lasting buildings, we are helping cities become greener and reducing the need for new construction.
In addition to suiting new builds, many solutions in our range also support green retrofitting to prolong the life of buildings:
- Elevate delivers premium roofing, wall and lining systems that improve buildings' energy efficiency and achieve the most advanced sustainability certifications such as LEED, BREEAM and WELL.
- Duro-Last's roofing systems range from cool roofs, enhancing buildings’ energy efficiency, to its award-winning “Recycle Your Roof” program, driving circularity in roofing.
- PRB Group produces coatings, insulation, adhesives, flooring and façade systems specially designed for advanced energy efficiency.
- PTB offers a wide range of high-performance products, from adhesives and specialty mortars to finishings.
- TECTOR manufactures advanced mortars for masonry, plastering, flooring, waterproofing, repair, chemicals and 3D printing.
- SES Foam's sucrose-based spray foam insulation improves energy efficiency and comfort while lowering a building’s carbon footprint.
- Airium™ mineral insulating foam insulates floors, walls and ceilings, enhancing the energy efficiency of the entire building envelope. It is fully recyclable and circular and aligns with clear air standards for a building's wellbeing.
- Izolbet manufactures construction chemicals, dry mortars and insulation systems, and stands as a market leader in waterproofing materials.
- Cantillana is a leading specialty building solutions provider with extensive experience in façade construction systems and external thermal insulation composite systems.
Nature in cities
We're bringing more nature into cities.
Our products bring more nature into cities, making them more livable. For example our green roofs bring more greenery to urban areas, reducing the urban heat island effect and improving air quality. Hydromedia permeable concrete recharges groundwater, allowing urban forests to grow and limiting the impact of heavy floods.
Holcim is one of the few global companies committed to increasing biodiversity based on transformative rehabilitation plans. We were the first in our sector committed to replenishing freshwater. These goals were set out by the Nature strategy established in 2021 and are supported by the Nature Policy we launched in 2022, also a first for our sector.
Our nature-focused products and solutions are helping restore and preserve biodiversity in cities around the world. In Greece, our permeable concrete Hydromedia is being used to create “pocket parks” in downtown Athens.
Hydromedia is a water management system that rapidly absorbs rainwater from streets, parking surfaces, driveways and walkways at a rate of 500-600 L/min/m2 – 10,000 times more than standard soil. This innovative permeable concrete reduces the risk of flooding, replenishes groundwater and promotes urban tree growth.